Pet passports issued in Great Britain can no longer be used for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. You can still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or NI.

To travel to an EU country or NI, your pet (cat, dog or ferret) needs:-

  • a microchip;
  • a valid rabies vaccination (you must wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before you travel);
  • an animal health certificate (AHC) (unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or NI); and
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you are travelling direct to Finland, Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta

To obtain your pet’s AHC, you will need to bring your pet into us, no more than 10 days before you travel. Please phone in advance to make an appointment to ensure one of our vets qualified to issue AHCs, known as an Official Vet, will be available.

You will need to bring proof of your pet’s microchipping date and vaccination history.

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to an EU country or NI from Great Britain.

To return to Great Britain from Europe

You will need to take your dog to a vet for an approved tapeworm treatment no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering Great Britain.

To travel back to Great Britain, in addition to the proof of tapeworm treatment, you will need either:

  • an EU pet passport issued in the EU (or in Great Britain if issued before 1 January 2021); or
  • the AHC issued in Great Britain used to travel to the EU, which you can use to re-enter Great Britain for up to 4 months after it was issued.

Please call us or refer to the website for further information.